Lemony Nantucket-style Swordfish with a Cucumber Salsa
- 2 - 4 10oz swordfish steaks
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- Kosher salt to taste
- Fresh ground pepper
- 2 fresh lemons
1. Mix all cucumber salsa ingredients in a bowl and set aside in the refrigerator until ready to use.
2. Preheat broiler to high
3. Dry both sides of swordfish with paper towel
4. Coat both sides of swordfish steaks with mayonnaise.
5. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
6. Broil swordfish on the top rack for 3-4 minutes or until a nice golden brown
7. Turn over and brown other side 3-4 minutes
8. If needed, cook for about 3-4 minutes at 420 degrees or until fish is opaque but still moist in the center. It should be 135 degrees in center
9. Let fish rest for 3 to 5 minutes.
10. Spoon cucumber salsa on top of swordfish and dress with lemon juice and additional dill before serving.
I grew up between Massachusetts and Maine yet disliking seafood. It was not until I was in my late twenties that I began experimenting with it again. One of the first dishes I had and truly enjoyed was a Nantucket-style swordfish steak, prepared by a friend whose family had a restaurant on the island. I was struck by how simple it is yet so flavorful! Typically during warmer months I like to do this on the grill but broiling is just as tasty. This recipe can also be made with sea bass, however swordfish is a much more sustainable option.
Georgina Whalen is the food and lifestyle creator behind A Noted Life, a blog started twelve years ago to help her document memorable culinary moments and partnerships. A passionate racial equality champion and SLE advocate, (systemic lupus erythematosus, the most common type of lupus), Georgina uses her platform to engage in meaningful discourse, sharing her own experiences of inequality to help drive connection and insight. Find her on Instagram @georgina.whalen