Queso Fresco + Apricot + Organic Herbs + Grapefruit and Lime Vinaigrette
- 1 whole honeycomb (can be found in any specialty store)
- 1 to 2 pounds of queso fresco cut into chunks
- 6 apricots cut in half and pitted
- Mix of organic herbs, mint, cilantro, fennel, rosemary and basil (any herb that you like will work with this salad)
- Salt and fresh pepper
- 2 tbsp of raw honey
- 1/2 cup of water
- 1 cup canola oil
- 2 whole grapefruits (peeled and cut into chunks)
- 1 whole lime (peeled and cut)
- 3 tbsp of apple cider vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tbsp. of salt (to taste)
Place the citrus into the blender and blend until smooth. Add the rest of the ingredients, drizzling the oil in slowly to form a silky vinaigrette. If it is too tart, add more water or honey.
Place all of the salad ingredients into the bowl. The herbs can be ripped by hand for a rustic look. Finish by drizzling the vinaigrette and seasoning with salt and fresh ground pepper.
PAIR WITH “PAY IT NO MIND”
Chef Maria Mazon is the Executive Chef and Owner of BOCA Tacos y Tequila in Tucson, Arizona. Born in Tucson but raised in Sonora, Mexico, Maria’s cuisine is inspired by both sides of her borderland home. Using the unique flavors and ingredients of the Sonoran Desert, Maria’s experimental takes on classic Mexican fare has earned her national attention in The New York Times, Food Network, and The Travel Channel, among others. In 2020, Maria became a James Beard Award semifinalist for Best Chef in the Southwest Region and is competing in Season 18 of Bravo’s Top Chef. When not at the restaurant, Maria loves cooking for her wife Lily and their 12-year-old son.