Sauteed Calamari with Checca
- 1 ½ pound fresh calamari, cut into rings
- 1 cup of whole milk (substitute Flax Milk as an alternative)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 cups dried bread crumbs tossed with ½ teaspoon salt
- 3 cups diced, seeded tomatoes
- 1 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley or basil
- 1 or 2 jalapeno peppers, minced
- 1 teaspoons coarsely ground rock salt
- Juice of 1 very ripe lemon
1. Wash the calamari and dry the rings on paper towels.
2. Soak the calamari in the milk, mixing with a fork to distribute milk over all of the calamari surfaces. Let sit for a least 5 – 6 hours, but preferably overnight.
3. Melt the olive oil and butter together in a large skillet over medium heat.
4. Shake the calamari to rid it of excess milk. Toss the calamari in bunces with the seasoned bread crumbs in a brown paper or plastic bag. Shake well to coat all the calamari.
5. When the oil and butter are nice and hot, stir-fry the calamari until crispy but not rubbery on the inside, no more than 3 to 4 minutes.
6. Toss in the tomatoes, parsley, jalapeno, rock salt and lemon juice.
Remove from heat and stir. Serve immediately. Serves 4-6
PAIR WITH A PELVIC EXAM AND CONVERSATIONS WITH YOUR GYNO
Recipe by Padma Lakshmi
Padma Lakshmi is an Emmy-nominated food expert, television host, producer and The New York Times best-selling author. She is the creator, host, and executive producer of the critically acclaimed Hulu series Taste the Nation, which received a 2021 Critics Choice Real TV Award for Best Culinary Series and a 2021 Gotham Award for Breakthrough Series. The series has been greenlit for a second season. Lakshmi also serves as host and executive producer of Bravo’s two-time Emmy-winning series Top Chef, which has been nominated for 32 Emmys, including her two-time nomination for Outstanding Host for A Reality-Competition Program. Its new season will be premiering in spring 2021.