Vegan Onions, Mushrooms, and Cashews Pate
Made of onions, mushrooms, and cashews, this vegan "chopped liver" has replaced the classic Jewish pate as a contemporary appetizer, especially for special occasions. This tasty pate is based on Nava Atlas's recipe from The Vegan Atlas.
- 2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 cup onion for 10 servings use 1 large onion, chopped
- 8 ounce mushroom white or cremini (aka baby bella) mushrooms
- 3⁄4 cup cashews toasted
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice or to taste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Kosher salt or to taste
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Fresh Parsley finely minced
1. Heat the oil in a skillet. Saute the onions slowly over medium heat, stirring frequently until lightly browned.
2. Remove the stems from the mushrooms, then clean and chop. Add to the skillet, cover, and cook briefly with the onions until wilted, about 3 to 4 minutes.
3. Place the onion and mushroom mixture (including any liquid that may have formed) in a food processor along with the cashews and lemon juice. Process until smoothly pureed, scraping down the sides as needed.
4. Season with salt and pepper and additional lemon juice if desired, and pulse on and off to mix well.
5. Transfer to a serving bowl, and cool to room temperature before serving.
6. Before serving, sprinkle with paprika and parsley. Serve with matzo for Passover, or fresh bread or crackers, and/or raw vegetables for low carb option
If refrigerated, remove 15 minutes before serving, stir. Sprinkle with paprika and parsley just before serving. Serve with matzo for Passover, or fresh bread or crackers, and/or raw vegetables for low carb option.