BBQ Korean Short Ribs
- 2 cups light soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon cayenne
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon crushed Sichuan pepper (substitute plain black peppercorns in a pinch)
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- ½ cup chopped chives
- ½ cup toasted sesame seeds
- 1 teaspoon dried mango powder
- 4 pounds beef short ribs
1. Mix all ingredients except the ribs in a large bowl. Combine well. Place the ribs in a baking dish and pour the mixture over them. Slather the ribs with your hands to coat them well and evenly with the sauce. Marinate for 2 to 3 hours, covered, at room temperature.
2. Heat the grill. Place the ribs on the grill rack or barbecue when the coals are glowing red hot and white and the flames have died down. Baste with any leftover-sauce. Turn often to cook both sides until the meat is brown, tender and caramelized. Serves 4 – 6.
PAIR WITH REGULAR EXERCISE AND AN ANNUAL PHYSICAL EXAM
Padma Lakshmi is an Emmy-nominated food expert, television host, producer and The New York Times best-selling author. She is the creator, host, and executive producer of the critically acclaimed Hulu series Taste the Nation, which received a 2021 Critics Choice Real TV Award for Best Culinary Series and a 2021 Gotham Award for Breakthrough Series. The series has been greenlit for a second season. Lakshmi also serves as host and executive producer of Bravo’s two-time Emmy-winning series Top Chef, which has been nominated for 32 Emmys, including her two-time nomination for Outstanding Host for A Reality-Competition Program. Its new season will be premiering in spring 2021.