Crostini With Whipped Herb Cream Cheese
Crostini Topped with Whipped Herb Cream Cheese, Poppy Seeds, Lemon Peel, and Honey
Candied Lemon Peel
- 2 lemons
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup sugar plus more for dusting
Herb Cream Cheese
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 1 clove garlic, grated
- 3 - 5 leaves of basil
- 10 chives
- 3 sprigs dill
- 1 baguette, sliced into 1/2 inch slices on a 45 degree angle
- 1 clove garlic
- honey poppy seeds
1. Use a julienne peeler to cut the lemon peel into thin strips. Alternatively you can use a regular peeler, and cut the thin strips with a knife. Juice one of the lemons and set the juice aside to use in the cream cheese mixture, and store the other lemon in the fridge to use later.
2. Mix the water and sugar into a small saucepan and bring to a light simmer. Stir until the sugar dissolves. Add in the lemon peel and continue to simmer, stirring occasionally, until the peel is translucent, about 45 minutes.
3. Strain the peel and allow to dry for a minute on a paper towel. Lightly dust with the additional sugar and set aside until ready to use.
4. Mix the cream cheese, garlic, basil, chives, dill, and lemon juice in the bowl of a food processor or blender. Season with salt and pepper. Pulse until smooth and combined and all the herbs are chopped finely. Taste and adjust seasonings (salt, pepper, lemon juice) to taste.
5. Preheat broiler to high with the rack set about 4 inches below the heating element.
6. Line up the slices of bread on a baking sheet. Broil to lightly brown on both sides, about 2 minutes per side.
7. When they come out of the oven, rub the garlic clove on the top side of each piece.
8. Next, spread each piece with cream cheese. Finally, top with a sprinkle of poppy seeds, a drizzle of honey, and a few candied lemon peel slices. Serve.
PAIR WITH SPEAKING OUT FOR THOSE WHO HAVE NO VOICE
Recipe Inspiration: In the ‘RBG’ documentary that provided more of a look at Ruth Bader Ginsburg’s personal life, we learned that RBG frequently ordered her favorite Russ & Daughters poppy-seed bagels, even having them shipped to D.C a few times! This is a great way to start out a date night at home as it is easy to whip up, yet feels a bit fancy.
Georgina Whalen is the food and lifestyle creator behind A Noted Life, a blog started twelve years ago to help her document memorable culinary moments and partnerships. A passionate racial equality champion and SLE advocate, (systemic lupus erythematosus, the most common type of lupus), Georgina uses her platform to engage in meaningful discourse, sharing her own experiences of inequality to help drive connection and insight. Find her on Instagram @georgina.whalen